For the past year my mornings have started with some form of lemon water. I did switch to copper water for awhile (couldn't get past the copper taste) but came back to my trusty lemon water. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I drag my sleepy butt to my kitchen and make my morning lemon detox water then start the rest of morning routine.
Why do I do this every morning?
Well because it kickstarts digestion, regulates natural bowel movements, aids in detoxification, promotes clear skin, and hydrates the body after a night of sleep.
All things I'm down with.
My lemon detox water usually consists of water (#obvi), half a lemon, some apple cider vinegar (eyeball the amount), and turmeric (again I just eyeball the amount). I used to measure everything but first thing in the morning before I'm even really awake, pulling out measuring spoons got old. Fast. Some mornings I squeeze my lemon into the tupperware container it was stored in and not my drinking glass. That's a key sign that I'm still pretty tired so I think giving up the measuring spoons was a good choice. Now I don't always add the turmeric or ACV - sometimes it's just lemon & water. No rhyme or reason just sometimes I don't feel like it.
Now there are some variations. You can add cayenne or honey too. I sometimes also add cayenne to my water. I know people like to add honey to balance out the sour lemon and vinegar taste. I mean honestly, the water doesn't taste great but I'm used to it so it barely phases me. However, if you try it & you can't handle the taste you can add some honey. It will help to add some sweetness.
Morning Lemon Detox Water
- 8 oz. room temperature water (I keep a glass bottle filled with water on my kitchen counter that I use every morning)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar* (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional - not pictured)
- 1 tsp raw local honey (optional - not pictured)
Squeeze 1/2 the lemon into a glass, add the ACV, the turmeric and/or cayenne & honey. Add your water and stir until mixed. If you are using honey, I suggest using some warm water to help melt the honey.
If you're using tumeric & cayenne you will need to stir the water intermittently to keep the spices incorporated otherwise they will settle to the bottom of the glass.
*If using ACV as part of your morning water then make sure it's the raw, unfiltered ACV with the mother. The mother is full of live probiotic bacteria and nutrients. It's how the ACV gets its nutrients and beneficial bacteria.
So what's the point of adding these other ingredients?
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Just a few notable things, it's loaded with vitamins & minerals, it alkalizes the body which helps with controlling candida & fungus, and it's super amazing for digestion, which is why you want the one 'with the mother'.
- Turmeric: This little Indian spice packs a punch. It contains a major healing compound called curcumin. This spice helps to fight depression, cancer, arthritis, IBS, and so much more. Just GTS (google that sh*t) and you'll see why. It's best benefit though is it's anti-inflammatory power.
- Cayenne: This peppered spice aids in digestion, reduces bloating, increases blood circulation, and prevents heart disease to name a few. I love it for it's gut & heart health properties.
- Raw Local Honey: If you want to add a bit sweetness to this detox water, you can add honey but make sure it's raw local honey. The reason...well local honey is going to be made by local bees from local pollen. And pollen usually triggers nasty seasonal allergies among most of us. If you use local honey, you will take advantage of the local pollen properties, which will help you fight off those allergies. Additionally, with raw honey it hasn't been filtered or pasteurized so it still contains all the vitamins, minerals, and probiotics which are great for digestion.
Are you sensing a theme with this morning detox water...digestion and gut! The gut is the powerhouse of the body and it's so important to keep it in good health & what better way to start your day off on the right foot with a little lemon water detox.
A few noteworthy comments:
- Concerned about lemon acidity on your teeth? I talked to dentist about this and so long as your brush your teeth after you drink your water you'll be good to go. You can also drink your lemon water with a straw to help it from touching your teeth.
- If the combo of ACV, turmeric, & cayenne are too strong for your taste buds, start with smaller doses and build up especially if you don't want to add honey.
- The key is to drink this before you eat or drink anything else. I usually make my lemon water, meditate, stretch, then resume my morning routine while finishing up lemon water.
- Most people will tell you that the water should be warm as the body absorbs warm water better. However, I've found that room temperature water is just as good. I've tried it both ways and didn't really notice any difference. And honestly, I don't really want to have to also heat up water. It's one less thing I have to do and I want my morning water to be easy & simple.
As always please consult your doctor before starting a new health regimen. Information provided and use of recommendations are at the choice and risk of the reader. The suggestions or recommendations noted in this post is not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, a substitute for medical treatment, or as an alternative to medical advice.